Her parents, who have been pushing for a further enquiry ever since their daughter’s drowning, have told the Courier-Mail that they welcome the investigation into what they claim was a “completely avoidable” death, and said that “no stone will be left unturned in our fight for truth and justice for Bethany.”

Farrell, 23, from Colchester in Essex, died on an introductory scuba session, only a week into a gap-year trip following her graduation from Southampton Solent University.

The late-afternoon dive took place on a Wings Diving Adventures charter-boat at Hayman Island in the Whitsundays on 17 February, 2015, as reported on Divernet.

Farrell was said to have panicked after losing contact with her friend, then to have become separated from her instructor. She was seen by boat-crew to surface briefly before sinking again. It was some 30 minutes before her body was located at a depth of 15m.

Parents Patrick and Caron Farrell told the paper that they believe the new inquest would uncover “a string of systemic failings” and “bring out some shocking revelations of how those responsible conducted themselves that fateful day”.

It has been alleged that Wings deleted all images taken on the boat prior to the incident that the police could have used as evidence.

In October 2016 an Essex Coroner recorded a narrative verdict after holding an inquest into the incident and hearing that Farrell had been put at risk by the dive-school, concluding that there were “various failings in the way in which the diving activities were carried out”.

A report from Queensland’s Office of Industrial Relations, which was then undertaking legal proceedings against Wings, had outlined shortcomings including failure to test the trainees’ competency or teach them about buoyancy control in both deep and shallow water.

Later Wings Diving Adventures, the trading name of DL20 Trading Pty Ltd of Airlie Beach, was fined the equivalent of almost £100,000 with costs for breaching its health & safety responsibilities by a Queensland Magistrates Court.

However, no conviction was recorded against the company in consideration of its early guilty plea, full co-operation and lack of previous convictions.

It was said to have stopped all scuba-diving activities since the incident and to have made a sincere apology.

The new three-day inquest is to be conducted by Central Queensland Coroner David O’Connell from 22 May.

Divernet - The Biggest Online Resource for Scuba Divers